You can’t go anywhere without hearing the latest update on the coronavirus that’s affecting the globe. Here in the US, our normal routines of life have been flipped upside down and continues with uncertainty with each passing day.
Both the NBA and NHL have suspended their sports season indefinitely, and in NYC where I live, large gatherings of 500 or more have been forbidden by Governor Cuomo. This affects many gatherings, including my church Christian Cultural Center specifically, where church services have been cancelled.
In these times, it’s a struggle for many of is to continue on without experiencing fear, and I understand it can be a strain on us mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually. In the continuing days as scientists, medical professionals, and governmental leaders tackle this, here’s a list of some things that are important for us to remember during these times.
God is concerned about your thought life in times of uncertainty
- Don’t focus so hard on trying to figure out how the unknown future will play out. Focus your attention on the present, for today has its own worries (Matthew 6:34)
- Guard your heart, which means what you allow to come in as well as what you allow to come out. Your words matter, so speak life, and diligently watch and protect against anyone who speaks death (fear, hysteria, unbelief, hopelessness, etc.)
- Communicate how you’re feeling with someone you trust and love, as well as loves you back. We’re not expected to deal with this in our own strength, God has blessed us with others to talk to.
- Remember that God has always used Christians in perilous times, examine how you’re thinking, and think about what God is doing and wants to do with you.
- Take a break from digital and social media by going outside to breathe, sit, and pray. God’s peace is everywhere around you, and He’s intentional about you experiencing it.
“Keep your heart with all diligence,
For out of it spring the issues of life.”Proverbs 4:23 (NKJV)
This pandemic has affected far more than we would’ve ever imagined, and while it is easy to lose focus and step out of character, we have the grace from God to live our lives grounded on a solid foundation. Even when the situations are out of control, and our own emotions and thoughts are an enemy of the truth we know, let this be a reminder and encouragement for you.